High quality English language training for motivated adults
Accommodation, services, travel and visas, living in London
- About Us
Organisation, news, careers and franchise information
Helping you prepare and keep progressing
Our distance learning units focus on writing and speaking and are designed entirely around your needs. They are recommended for students who need to focus on a particular piece of writing or speaking activity. The units are useful if you need short and intensive training for a specific project, but if you are looking for longer term training in a range of skills you may prefer to do one of our Online Courses.
1. The Writing Unit allows us to work with you on a piece of writing that you need to focus on. The training will therefore all be based around work you have produced meaning we can identify the most important areas for your development.
2. The Speaking Unit is designed so you can decide how you want to spend the time with the trainer. By sending information beforehand the trainer will know what your aims are and will work with you to help you to achieve these.
Develop your writing skills
Helping you develop the writing skills you need
Our distance learning writing units are suitable:
· before you attend a course in London
· after you have returned home
· if you are not attending a course in London at all
You may want to work on your writing for a number of reasons:
· work related (business reports, letters, emails etc.)
· academic work (essays, dissertations etc.)
· exam related (Cambridge First Certificate etc.)
· any other reason
What will you do?
- You decide what kind of writing you want to concentrate on (business report, essay etc.)
- You type your written text, keeping to a limit of 750 - 1000 words.
If you are writing a text which is normally longer than its limit (for example, business reports and essays are usually longer than 1000 words), write a part of it and briefly explain how this part fits into the whole text.
- Check what you have written. If you are unsure about something or feel that something you have written is definitely wrong, add a footnote (a note at the button of the page).
- E-mail your text to us.
What will we do?
When we receive your text, one of our trainers will:
- Look at your footnotes to find out what you didn't like and were unsure about.
- Check for other problems.
- Comment on and/or correct your written text using Word notes.
- Return your text by email and give you advice or extra exercises to do.
After you have received your email from the trainer you should focus on the problem areas. It is important to analyse these and understand why they are a problem. This will help you to avoid them in the future. You will also be able to do extra exercises if the trainer has sent you some and/or follow the advice that the trainer has given you.
Develop your speaking skills
Helping you develop the confidence you need
Our distance learning speaking units take place on the telephone or Skype and are suitable:
- before you attend a course in London
- after you have returned home
- if you are not attending a course in London at all
You may want to work on your speaking for a number of reasons:
- work related (presentations, meetings, negotiations etc.)
- academic work (presentations etc.)
- exam related (Cambridge First Certificate etc.)
- any other reasons
What will you do?
You decide what kind of speaking you want to concentrate on and email us a brief outline of what you hope to achieve in the lesson.
What will we do?
When we receive your email, one of our trainers will:
- Read your email and consider how we can help you achieve your aims.
- Agree a time for you to contact us by phone or by Skype for a call of around 30-minutes.
- Work with you to improve your speaking and increase your confidence in the task you have chosen to work on.
After your call with the trainer you should focus on the problem areas that you discussed in the call. It is important to analyse these and understand why they are a problem. This will help you to avoid them in the future. You should also practise the speaking you have been working on in order to benefit fully from the time with the trainer. You can do this by recording yourself and listening back, paying particular attention to the areas highlighted by the trainer.
Our distance learning units are very cost effective. Each unit costs just £80.
To find out more about our Distance Learning Units, please contact us outlining your needs. We will then get back to you with more information.
With the distance learning units you get a completely individualised learning programme that allows you to focus on the language that you personally need. It also gives you a clear idea of your strengths and weaknesses in English, so we can work on them together.
If you do a distance learning unit before you come to the school your teachers will know more about you before the course starts and this helps them prepare the course to meet your needs. It will mean that you will arrive at the school with more confidence which will make your course even more effective. There is also the option of doing another distance course after you leave, which will really help you put what you have learnt into action.
For students who won’t be joining us in London, you can still benefit from the teaching expertise we have here. You will be able to learn at your own speed and in your own time.
Read reviews & comments
Hear what our students had to say about this course
London School of English
Please leave a comment in the form below.
Post a comment
Ask a question about this course
Still have questions? Use the form below to contact a member of our team