- Nützliche Informationen
- Über LSE
Legal English: Public Sector Lawyers
English for legal professionals working in the public sector
The course is designed to improve your performance in international meetings and discussions of legislative proposals, consultations on specific areas of law, presentations, and interpretation and discussion of legal documents.
Topics typically include EU institutions and legislation, national legislative procedures, administrative law and employment law. There are opportunities to focus on specialist areas. The course includes an optional visit to Parliament when sitting, and sessions led by practising lawyers.
All of the key information you need to know about this course
- Group size:
- Participants age:
Minimum age: 25
Average age: 41
- Course length:
1 week course
Fixed start dates
- Hours per week:
30 hours per week (30 x 60 minutes)
09.00 - 17.00 Monday - Friday
- External visit:
A visit to the Houses of Parliament, when in session
Who's it for?
Find out if this course is suitable for your needs
This is a highly specialised programme designed for lawyers working in the state or public sector, either in central government departments, ministries and authorities, or for regional or local government.
The areas that you can expect to cover during a typical course
Subjects covered depend on the group but may include:
- EU and EEA institutions, structures, and legislative procedures
- national legislative procedures and conflicts between EC and national law
- public liability and negligence
- employment law and equal opportunities
- property law
- judicial review and administrative law
The course focuses on providing the skills for:
- effective participation in discussions and meetings
- giving presentations
- the preparation of legal texts including agreements, other written communication including email, reports and formal letters
- effective telephoning skills
- hosting visits and socialising
- developing awareness of intercultural issues
Course activities include:
- taking part in simulated meetings and negotiations
- take part in discussions on a variety of legal topics
- giving advice on a legal matter within your field " role-play situations such as greeting visitors, making arrangements by telephone and socialising
- making a presentation on a legal topic of your choice
What you can expect to achieve from your course
Whichever course you take with us, you can expect to improve your English in the following ways:
- communicate more confidently
- speak more accurately and fluently
- participate more successfully in meetings
- improve your written English including emails
- expand your professional vocabulary
- improve your understanding of grammar
- socialise and network with greater confidence
- work successfully in a cross-cultural environment
In addition to the benefits outlined above, you will be more effective in international meetings and negotiations and use specialised legal language more effectively.
Dates & Fees
When this course takes places and how much it costs
2014 Dates & Fees
8th - 12th December 2014
Please note the Holland Park Gardens centre is closed on 1-3 January, 18 April, 21 April, 22 - 31 December. The centre is open on all other public holidays.
2015 Dates & Fees
26th - 30th February 2015
20th - 24th April 2015
22nd - 26th July 2015
28th September - 2nd October 2015
23rd - 27th November 2015
Please note the Holland Park Gardens centre is closed on 1-2 January, 3 - 6 April, 21 December - 1 January 2016. The centre is open on all other public holidays.
Ask a question about this course
Still have questions? Use the form below to contact a member of our team
Read reviews & comments
I had a great time - I have learned much more than I expected.
Altogether an excellent course in a very relaxed atmosphere.