High quality English language training for motivated adults
Accommodation, services, travel and visas, living in London
Organisation, news, careers and franchise information
Legal English: Commercial Lawyers
Helping commercial lawyers to work effectively in an international setting
The course includes case studies, negotiations, discussions and meetings, and the materials combine real professional content with our highly effective learning methodology.
The trainers are language specialists with expertise in this field. There is important input from the real legal world including sessions led by practising lawyers and visits to a law firm and the civil courts. Many participants also benefit from making lasting professional friendships.
All of the key information you need to know about this course
- Course length:
1 week course
- Participants age:
Minimum age: 25
Average age: 38
- Group size:
- Hours per week:
30 hours per week (30 x 60 minutes)
09.00 - 17.00 Monday - Friday
Who's it for?
Find out if this course is suitable for your needs
This course is for qualified, experienced lawyers from law firms or the corporate sector who have a reasonably confident command of English.
The areas that you can expect to cover during a typical course
Click to see sample timetable
The course is designed to develop participants' language and communication skills in a legal context. The course focuses on active speaking and writing skills and communication strategies.
The key language and skills you will learn in the course include:
- legal vocabulary expansion
- effective communication skills for meetings and negotiations
- effective participation in discussions
- giving presentations
- written communication including email, reports and formal letters
- effective telephoning skills
- hosting visits, socialising, meeting and greeting
- listening skills
Typical activities that you will participate in will include:
- taking part in simulated meetings and negotiations
- drafting examples of contracts
- giving legal advice: for example describing the process of litigation to a foreign client, role-playing real life communicative situations such as greeting visitors, making arrangements by telephone and socialising
- making a presentation on a legal topic of your choice
There are opportunities to learn about aspects of English and EC law and the English legal system but it is not a course in law. There are extensive reading materials available if students wish to research particular areas of law in their own time.
What you can expect to achieve from your course
You can expect to improve your English in the following ways:
- communicate more confidently
- speak more accurately and fluently
- participate more successfully in meetings
- improve your written English including emails
- expand your professional vocabulary
- improve your understanding of grammar
- socialise and network with greater confidence
- work successfully in a cross-cultural environment
In addition to the benefits outlined above, this course will enable you to communicate more confidently in legal situations and use specialised legal vocabulary more effectively. You will also be able to participate more effectively in meetings and negotiations, make better presentations, use the telephone for effective communication and communicate more confidently in a range of life and work situations.
Included in the fees
What is included in the fees