English for University
English for University covers the academic English and practical study skills you will need for undergraduate and postgraduate degree level studies at university. You will develop your confidence and competence in key areas such as research, making group presentations, critical analysis and extended writing.
Who’s it for?
Our English for University course is designed for international and EU students preparing for undergraduate and postgraduate degree level studies at university in the UK and other English speaking countries. Small groups of maximum 12 students maximises your learning and progress.
At the end of the course you can expect to:
- listen to lectures more effectively
- write academic texts more confidently
- enhance your academic vocabulary and grammar
- gain the research skills required on a university course
- understand better the study culture at university
- express your ideas in discussions and in writing more effectively able to express your ideas and opinions in discussions
English for University builds up your knowledge of academic English as well as your study skills while helping you become an independent learner so that you are fully prepared to study at degree level in English.
You can expect to cover the following areas:
Using and understanding academic vocabulary and grammar.
- Academic listening skills such as extended listening, active listening and note-taking
Academic reading skills such as finding information quickly in texts, summarizing and paraphrasing.
Academic writing skills such as planning and linking ideas, essay structure and presenting an argument.
Academic speaking skills such as leading presentations and discussions, taking part in seminars, debating and explaining ideas.
Carrying out research, critical analysis of findings, forming and expressing your opinion
Working collaboratively with colleagues towards a final presentation and essay
A key part of the English for University Course is the research project where you work on an essay and a group presentation. You will be assessed and given extensive feedback on both.
Included in fees
Fees include training plus:
All course materials and resources
Daily 3-course lunch (Monday to Friday)
Visit to a London University
Detailed end of course progress report
Support from University Relations Manager
Why study at The London School of English?
- Rated “Excellent” in over 450 independent client reviews
- Over 100 years’ experience
- Tailored training delivers clear results
- Memorable experiences in London, Canterbury or online
- Westcroft Square
- Max Group: 12
- Min Age: 18+
Average Age: 26
- Min Duration: 4 weeks; no maximum
- 22 hours/week
09.15 - 15.45 (Mon - Thurs)
09.15 - 12.45 (Fri)
- 12/3, 4/6, 30/7, 28/8
- 1760 (4 weeks)
£50/week summer supplement for courses from July to 31 August 2018