Business Pioneers: Drivers of Success
Gain the communication skills and business acumen needed to thrive in the global market
This course gives you the opportunity to discover what a career in business really feels and looks like. You will explore what makes a successful entrepreneur, how to turn a great idea into reality, and get valuable experience in dealing with the practical challenges you may face along the way. Over two weeks, you'll build and develop a dynamic business idea, gaining vital skills in idea pitching, branding, business operations, marketing, and more. Beyond the classroom, enjoy talks by inspiring guest speakers and visits to London-based companies. Work together in small teams, exclusively using English, to develop negotiation, problem-solving, and intercultural communication skills. This course helps you make new friends, improve your business skills, increase your self-confidence, and lets you experience the exciting city life.
Each 2-week course includes…
- Opening speech guest talk from successful London-based entrepreneur
- Private guided tours of London’s financial districts
- A visit to a London-based company to see business in action and speak to a company director
- Closing speech from famous inspirational explorer or journalist
At a glance...
|Ages||15-17 years old|
|Course length||2 weeks|
|English level||B1+/IELTS 5 (Intermediate & above)|
|Staff to student ratio||1:8|
|Maximum class size||14|
|Academic content and related visits||26.5 hours per week|
|Excursions||1 full-day trip and 1 half-day trip|
|Other social activities, including culture, walks, and evening activities||36 hours per week|
|Course dates (2024)||Sunday 30th June - Saturday 13th July|
Sunday 14th July - Saturday 27th July
Sunday 28th July - Saturday 10th August
|Designed for||Future Entrepreneurs, Innovators, Project Managers, Sales Leaders, Executives|
|Skills||Building Business Cases / Teamwork / Presentation & Speaking Skills / Developing a Product Pitch / Project Management / Financial Planning / Risk Analysis|
Who is the course for?
The course is for focused young adults with an interest in the business world who are ready to explore their future options and develop intercultural friendships. Perhaps you’re thinking about a university qualification, an apprenticeship or work placement in this area. This course will equip you with the skills you need to achieve your goals with confidence. You’ll get a real feel for what university life is like by living in a University of London residence and studying at the historic University of London building, Senate House.
What you'll learn
This isn’t your standard classroom - prepare for a whole new experience! You will be actively involved from day one. All input sessions are lively and engaging, with you and your teammates at the centre.
You will work towards pitching an exciting new business idea in your first week and develop it further in your second week in an engaging Business Challenge environment. To make sure you are fully ready to achieve success in the Business Challenges, you will explore the following key business topics:
- How to plan and pitch an idea powerfully so that people listen
- How to develop a brand that people care about
- Business or Bust - What does it take to really run a business?
- Mastering the Language of Business
- Attracting an Audience— Marketing for the next generation
- Elevator Pitches—Effectively pitch your business ideas
- Building Teams & Company Culture
- Checks & Balance—the Art of Budgeting
You will also have the opportunity to attend talks from inspirational and empowering guest speakers and go on visits to London-based companies. These will give you a first-hand look into the real world of business and help you consider the right path for your future.
Throughout your course you will be working in small project teams with like-minded young adults and communicating exclusively in English. This will help you to develop skills such as negotiating, problem solving, active listening and intercultural communication. All of these skills are incredibly important for working in dynamic, innovative, successful project teams, and will be useful for you whatever future path you decide to take.
- New friendships with like-minded individuals from all over the world
- A taste of living and studying in one of the most exciting cities in the world
- Improved business communication and presentation skills
- The ability to prepare, present and deliver a business plan
- An enhanced knowledge of business vocabulary
- Increased confidence and independence to support you at university and at work
- A greater understanding of your English language strengths and areas for future development
What are the benefits of the course?
When you take this course, you will:
- Work together with like-minded young adults who are motivated to learn and develop
- Study and explore in a stimulating and safe environment
- Learn more about British culture and get to know London as a Londoner
- Improve your English language skills in an authentic setting
- Develop your critical thinking and public speaking skills
- Become more independent, confident, and aware of what you want to do in the future
- Make new friends from all over the world.
- Have a huge amount of fun!
Activities (afternoons & evenings)
Our visits and activities will take you all around London and show you why this city is so popular with both tourists and Londoners. One day you may be on a boat trip down the Thames sailing through the heart of the city and the next exploring the hidden gems of London’s vibrant streets or discovering the music, fashion and food at one of London’s many street markets. For the 'culture vultures' amongst you, London is home to some of the best international art and artefacts in its world-class museums and galleries. In the evenings, you will have the opportunity to go to an award-winning show as well as trying many other fun social activities. All our activities give you the chance to really get to know this dazzling city and experience London culture while mixing with students from all over the world.
Included in the course fees are one full-day and one half-day visit in and around London. These trips are designed to add to the Summer School experience, giving students the opportunity to make new friends, enjoy new experiences, and see more of England. Examples of our full-day visits include:
- An Adventure Theme Park for a day of freedom and fun!
- Windsor to visit the Castle and 1000 years of royal history or just relax in the parks and gardens
- Hampton Court to see where Henry VIII slept and what he ate (a lot) and navigate one of the world’s most fabulous mazes
Students also have the opportunity to join in with weekday afternoon & evening activities as part of our Social Programme. Find out more here.
Please download sample timetables for each of our Summer Schools hereDownload