Global Leaders: Change Makers of Tomorrow
If you want to see change in the world, then this course will give you the skills you need to make that change happen!
The course aims to build on your passion and motivation, giving you the opportunity to challenge the way things are now and present your perspective with confidence and authority. From day one, you'll be immersed in engaging sessions, collaborating with peers on a Change Maker Challenge focused on sustainability, community, AI, resilience, and advocacy. Outside the classroom, explore London's political centre with visits to the Houses of Parliament and be inspired by guest speakers. Work in small project teams, exclusively using English, to develop vital skills in negotiation, problem-solving, active listening, and intercultural communication. This course helps you make friends from different countries, gives you a taste of city life, helps you get better at talking to people and speaking in public, teaches you more vocabulary for talking about current topics, and makes you feel more confident and independent for your future studies and work, all while having a great time!
Each 2-week course includes…
- Opening speech guest talk from an inspirational climate-change activist
- Guided tour of London’s Shoreditch area to learn about political street art and protest; and of the Houses of Parliament, to see where and how political decisions are made.
- A visit to an ethically-based London company to see sustainable business in action.
- Closing speech from famous inspirational explorer or journalist
At a glance...
|15-17 years old
|B1+/IELTS 5 (Intermediate & above)
|Staff to student ratio
|Maximum class size
|Academic content and related visits
|26.5 hours per week
|1 full-day trip to a theme park
|Other social activities, including culture, walks, and evening activities
|36 hours per week
|Course dates (2024)
|Sunday 30th June - Saturday 13th July
Sunday 14th July - Saturday 27th July
Sunday 28th July - Saturday 10th August
|Future Lawyers, Policy Makers, Innovation Consultants, NGO Pioneers
|Identifying Global Challenges & Finding Solutions / Understanding Sustainability Goals / Teamwork / Active Citizenship / Championing Global Causes
Who is the course for?
The course is for focused young adults with a passion for making change happen who are ready to explore their future options and develop intercultural friendships. Perhaps you’re thinking about a university qualification, an apprenticeship or work placement in this area. This course will equip you with the skills you need to achieve your goals with confidence. You’ll get a real feel for what university life is like by living in a University of London residence and studying at the historic University of London building, Senate House.
What you'll learn
This isn’t your standard classroom - prepare for a whole new experience! You will be actively involved from day one. All input sessions are lively and engaging, with you and your teammates at the centre.
You will work towards a Change Maker Challenge in your first week and develop it further in your second week in an exciting team project environment. To make sure you are fully ready to achieve success in the challenge, you will explore the following key topics:
- The Time is Now: Making Sustainable Choices
- It Takes a Village—Community Goals
- AI and Humans — friends or foes?
- Positivity & Resilience—Building Strong Foundations
- Different Perspectives—Law, Society, Humans & Technology
- Finding Your Voice— Campaigning for a Cause
You will also have the opportunity to attend talks from inspirational and empowering guest speakers and go on a visit to the Houses of Parliament in London. These will give you a first-hand look into how laws are made and change is realized.
Throughout your course you will be working in small project teams with like-minded young adults and communicating exclusively in English. This will help you to develop skills such as negotiating, problem solving, active listening and intercultural communication. All of these skills are incredibly important for working in dynamic, innovative, successful teams, and will be useful for you whatever future path you decide to take.
- New friendships with like-minded individuals from all over the world
- A taste of living and studying in one of the most exciting cities in the world
- Improved communication and public speaking skills
- The ability to confidently participate in debates
- An enhanced vocabulary for describing current issues and change
- Increased confidence and independence to support you at university and at work
- A greater understanding of your communicative strengths and areas for future development
What are the benefits of the course?
When you take this course, you will:
- Deepen your understanding of the most important issues facing the world today
- Work together with like-minded young adults who are motivated to learn and develop
- Study and explore in a stimulating and safe environment
- Learn more about British culture and get to know London as a Londoner
- Practice your English in authentic settings
- Develop your critical thinking and public speaking skills
- Become more independent, confident, and aware of what you want to do in the future
- Make new friends from all over the world
- Have a huge amount of fun!
Activities (afternoons & evenings)
Our visits and activities will take you all around London and show you why this city is so popular with both tourists and Londoners. One day you may be on a boat trip down the Thames sailing through the heart of the city and the next exploring the hidden gems of London’s vibrant streets or discovering the music, fashion and food at one of London’s many street markets. For the 'culture vultures' amongst you, London is home to some of the best international art and artefacts in its world-class museums and galleries. In the evenings, you will have the opportunity to go to an award-winning show as well as trying many other fun social activities. All our activities give you the chance to really get to know this dazzling city and experience London culture while mixing with students from all over the world.
During the ‘middle weekend’ between the first and second week, you will have the opportunity to relax, have fun, make friends and explore:
- Saturday: You will have the opportunity to spend the afternoon at London’s Westfield shopping centre, the biggest in Europe!
- Sunday: We will all go to the Thorpe Park Adventure Theme Park for a full day of freedom and fun.
Please download sample timetables for each of our summer courses hereDownload
List of Speakers
Download our list of invited speakersDownload
Download the schedule of company visitsDownload