Academic Year Programme
Our Academic Year is a minimum 24-week programme which fully prepares you for study at an English speaking university both at undergraduate and postgraduate degree level. The programme combines relevant units from our Intensive General English, English for University and IELTS preparation courses, and you can also choose to include Business and professional English. As we understand that the ideal course combination is different for each student, we will tailor your study plan with you when you arrive to help you achieve your specific goal.
Who’s it for?
Our Academic Year programme is suitable for international and EU students who want a complete preparation programme for undergraduate and postgraduate degree level studies at university in the UK and other English speaking countries.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Speak more accurately and fluently
- Write academic texts using a clear structure to express your ideas
- Use and understand academic vocabulary and grammar
- Understand the main points in lectures
- Read extensively and in detail
- Carry out research and complete a research project
- Achieve the best possible IELTS result
- Become an independent learner
- Understand the demands of degree level study at UK universities
- Be confident and ready to start your degree
- Intensive General English
Starting with Intensive General English, you will develop your overall language skills in speaking, reading, listening and writing as well as working on vocabulary and grammar.
- IELTS preparation
You will take a complete IELTS preparation course where you will be fully prepared to take the test by covering all of the question types for each paper and using tips and techniques so that you can get the best possible result.
- English for University
This course develops your Academic English skills and study skills in preparation for your degree. This includes carrying out research, writing essays, participating in seminars, reading academic texts and notetaking in lectures. You will practise these skills through a mini research project, concluding in an essay and group presentation. In this way, you are developing and becoming confident in the skills you need at university.
- Business English 20-30
You can choose to take Business English for up to four weeks as part of your Academic Year programme. In Business English 20-30, you will learn language and practical skills to help you communicate successfully and confidently at work. The course also includes skills for employment, including CV writing, cover letters and job interview skills.
Optional self-study: Before or after your classes, you can use the Self-Study Area in your centre. There are computers, a printer and plenty of desk space available. The Self-Study Areas are available whenever our centres are open. See the opening times for our centres here.
Included in fees
All course materials and resources
Daily three-course lunch (Monday to Friday)
Weekly networking reception
Access to London School Online platform
Detailed end of course progress report
Why study at The London School of English?
- Rated “Excellent” in over 750 independent client reviews
- Over 100 years’ experience
- Tailored training delivers clear results
- Memorable experiences in London, Canterbury or online