- Find a Course
- About Us
TOLES (Test of Legal English Skills)
The best way to prepare for your examination
This course is designed to prepare candidates for the TOLES (Test of Legal English Skills) examination. TOLES is for lawyers and law students to prove their ability to cope with everyday practical tasks in English when working in commercial law or studying in the law faculty of a UK or US university. The course is accredited by the Law Society of England and Wales.
The course focuses on examination techniques for the different parts of the exam.
All of the key information you need to know about this course
£560/week + £150 for exam fee and special materials.
There will be a supplement of £50 per week on courses running from 3 July - 25 August.
23rd - 27th January
27th February - 3rd March
3rd -7th April
15th -19th May
26th - 30th June
24th -28th July
21st - 25th August
25th -29th September
6th -10th November
11th - 15th December
The exam is on the final day of every TOLES course.
Click to see Public Holidays (school closed)
- Course length:
- Participant age:
Minimum age 20
Average age 25
- Group size:
- Hours per week:
24 hours per week (24 x 60 minutes)
09.30 - 16.00 Monday - Friday
Who's it for?
Find out if this course is suitable for your needs
This course is designed to prepare candidates for the TOLES (Test of Legal English Skills) examination. This qualification is for lawyers and law students to prove their ability to cope with everyday practical tasks in English when working in commercial law or studying in the law faculty of a UK or US university.
Should I take TOLES or ILEC?
The areas that you can expect to cover during a typical course
Click to see sample timetable
The TOLES course is intended to cover all of the language areas given below.
- Knowledge and use of specific legal vocabulary
- Formal letter writing and communication by email
- Simplification of complex contract clauses to Plain English
- Reading complex documentation
- Features of the English legal system
- Grammatical accuracy
The key language skills and communication strategies you will focus on for the exam include:
- Understanding and using specific legal vocabulary relevant in the global commercial market
- Writing formal letters and communicating by email
- Simplification of contract clauses
- Understanding and explaining complex legal documentation
- Writing and speaking with grammatical accuracy
What you can expect to achieve from your course
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- approach the exam more confidently
- assess your true ability in legal English
- improve your knowledge of legal English and key concepts in English law
- improve your writing skills, especially for letters and emails
- demonstrate your ability to current and future employers by including your grade and certificate as part of your CV
- keep up to date in your professional development
- prepare yourself for entry to a law course in a UK or US university, or for an internship