- Find a Course
High quality English language training for motivated adults
Accommodation, locations, services, travel and visas
- About Us
Organisation, news, careers and franchise information
Successful Communication for Professionals
Essential Communication Skills for International Professionals
Develop your language, communication, and intercultural skills in an interactive micro-group of maximum four participants. This course will focus on your ability to successfully communicate in meetings, negotiations, presentations and social situations.
The very small group size ensures individual attention and the opportunity to maximise your time. The result is increased confidence, with greater fluency and accuracy. Working with participants from other countries and organisations will also raise your intercultural awareness.
This course can be combined with Individual Tuition in an SCP Combi.
All of the key information you need to know about this course
- Course length:
1 - 4 weeks
- Participants age:
Minimum age 25
Average age 41
- Group size:
- Hours per week:
08.45 - 16.45 Monday - Friday (30 hours)
Who's it for?
Find out if this course is suitable for your needs
This course is ideal for executives, managers and working professionals from CEFR B1 to C1/2 level.
Clients typically work in the following industries and sectors:
- Financial services
- B2B including IT and Consulting
- Public Administration
- Consumer goods
- Professional including Legal
The areas that you can expect to cover during a typical course
Course content summary
You can expect to improve the following linguistic and business skills:
- Communication skills
- Chairing and participating in meetings
- Negotiations- persuading, bargaining, compromising
- Presentations- making yourself clear, effective structuring, and emphasising
- Business word building
- Teleconferencing, telephoning and email writing
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Grammatical accuracy
- Accuracy in pronunciation
Everything you learn on this course has a practical application. Through a variety of real-life, task-based scenarios we enable you to practise and improve the language you will need for your everyday work.
You will chair and participate in meetings improving your ability to clarify understanding, mediate and reach a compromise. You will also build your ability to negotiate more confidently by using a greater range of phrases for bargaining, persuading and compromising. During negotiations we also monitor carefully and help you achieve the correct level of appropriacy and diplomacy.
An important component at the end of the course is a presentation given to other members of the group. This is an important opportunity for you to practise speaking publicly for an extended period on a subject of your choice. It provides consolidation of the language you have studied through the course and is very beneficial to building your confidence. The presentation will be recorded and analysed by your trainer with appropriate feedback.
Networking and socialising skills, an essential part of relationship building, are also practised through a variety of role-plays that range from making initial introductions and invitations to asking questions, giving advice and making complaints.
This course is ideal for executives, managers and working professionals, including lawyers, administrative staff and politicians, who wish to improve their ability to use English within a commercial context.
Some people like the group interaction this course provides, but would also like to focus on a particular area of need or interest on a one-to-one basis. In such cases, we recommend our Combination Course which provides the best of both worlds.
Practical Language Covered
Course participants can expect the following areas to be covered in the course:
- Presentation of one's job responsibilities & activities, organisation and products/services
- Simulated negotiations and business meetings
- Simulated teleconferencing & telephoning
- Business vocabulary building
- Aspects of a company's business – eg marketing, finance, production and distribution
- Handling personnel matters – eg industrial relations, communication at work
- Case studies and discussions
- Analysis of a company's strengths and weaknesses, general and financial
- Communication in an international context including intercultural understanding
- Presenting figures and graphs and describing economic and social trends
- Evaluating cause and result
- Comparing company culture and national economies
- Pronunciation and listening comprehension skills
- Expressing numbers and spelling
We also aim to expand your range of functional language and give you greater access to a variety of more appropriate and diplomatic terms. Functional areas include:
- Chairing and participating in meetings
- Expressing opinions
- Agreeing and disagreeing
- Clarifying and verifying
- Making recommendations
- Bargaining and compromise
- Dealing with difficult questions
- Signalling in presentations
We understand the importance of your English outside the office too. That’s why an important part of the course includes social English and networking skills:
- Introducing yourself and colleagues
What you can expect to achieve from your course
This course focusses on the following areas and as a result you can expect to make the following improvements:
- communicate more confidently
- speak more accurately and fluently
- participate more successfully in meetings
- approach negotiations more tactically and diplomatically
- respond more spontaneously
- gain better comprehension skills
- improve your written English including emailing
- expand your range of professional vocabulary
- improve your understanding of grammar
- socialise and network with greater confidence
- speak more clearly with better pronunciation
- work successfully in a cross-cultural environment
In addition to the benefits outlined above, you can expect to manage meetings andnegotiations more effectively, improve your presentation skills, expand yourbusiness vocabulary, use the telephone with greater confidence as well as being able to discuss issues relating to best industry practice industry with a greater degree of confidence.